Saturday, March 11, 2006

New urethral surgery training session

This wednesday I was invited to operate a patient with a complex urethral stricture to the Hospital Universitario de La Princesa, in Madrid.

He had a long urethral stenosis involving bulbar and penile urethra, and when we explored it surgically it affected all the length of the urethra. The operation was uneventful and we needed 4 hours to reconstruct it with a combination of free grafts taken from the inner side of the cheek (Barbagli's operation) and a long cutaneous flap from the penis (Orandi's operation). I was told that all the patients we have operated up to now are doing well. I am happy for them.



This week has been rather hectic. That same day we had to operate a patient with a kidney cancer and we performed a laparoscopic nephroureterectomy, and I havehad to operate 10 PVPs (Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate) this week, and some of the patients had very big prostates. So I am kind of tired.

Although I still have much work to do on the presentations I will carry out in my forthcoming visits to India, London, South Africa and Paris, I am looking forward to them, so I can take a break. My wife will come along with me to London and South Africa, so we will also have a chance to enjoy some time together.

No comments: