Saturday, September 30, 2006

Conference in Ireland

Yesterday I travelled to Ireland, I did a stop in Glasgow and from there I took a plane to Killarney, where the Annual Congress of the Irish Society of Urology is taking place. I was invited to lecture on my experience with the Greenlight KTP laser in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.




The congress took place at the Great Southern Hotel, at Killarney, a relatively remote place within Ireland. Unfortunately I did not have much time to visit the place as I have been at the scientific sessions.



It was fortunate though that I had a chance to see the famous cup "Sam McGuire" that is about 100 years old, and every year it is kept by the team winning the amateur ligue of Gaelic Football (an Irish old sport where the ball can be touched with the hands). This is also famous in Australia, with slightly different rules... One of the winners took it with him to the hotel and it was a great honour to be able to see and touch it. As I did not have my camera with me, I took a photo with my mobile...


It was also very interesting to see some good friends here, Dr. Killian Walsh and Dr. Bouchier-Hayes, and to have a chance to talk and meet prestigious local urologists and share our points of view... There are four centers in the country that offer Greenlight PV to their BPH patients. The Irish are very hospitalary and charming people....

No comments: