Saturday, October 07, 2006

European School of Urology Course in Albufeira, Portugal

This morning I participated at the ESU Course on minimally invasive treatments in urology, that took place during the Annual Congress of the Portuguese Urological Association. This has been my first contribution as a faculty member of the European School of Urology.

My task was to discuss the current status of minimally invasive treatments of benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have analized these options, as well as their pros and cons (TUMT, TUNA, ILC, intraprostatic Botox, TEAP, WIT, HoLap, HoLep, and so on). I also discussed in detail my experience with the Greenlight laser, and showed my experience with the new HPS laser. The meeting has been really interesting and many urologists showed up for the course. After our lectures, we had a relatively long and lively discussion.

The chairman of the session, Prof. Morgia, from Italy, in the left hand side of the photo below, spoke about the minimally invasive treatment of prostate cancer, including cryosurgery, High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) and brachytherapy. Prof. Dimitri Pushkar, from Moscow, in the center of the photograph, spoke about urinary incontinence, he has a vast experience in lower urinary tract reconstruction in the female. He has operated more than 2000 urinary fistulas (!).

After the session, I only had time to enjoy lunch by the sea with my good friend Dr. Reis Santos, from Lisbon, and I had to rush to the airport, on my way back to Madrid.

No comments: