Friday, February 05, 2010

Visitor from Germany

In this occasion I received the visit from Dr. Brunken. He was very interested to see how we do the Greenlight Laser Enucleation of the prostate. He came to the operating room where I performed two operations in two patients with 100 gram prostates.



This new technique that I have developed allows to extract the whole prostatic adenoma endoscopically. First it is detached from the prostatic capsule and it is thrown inside the bladder in two or three pieces, that are later extracted using a morcellator (I use the wonderful Piranha system, from Wolf). This allows to perform a complete adenomectomy (the risk of reoperation is extremely low, because there is no residual tissue that can regrow), to perform a histological analysis of the tissue (it is not vaporized), with minimal risk and without size limitation. I will present this technique at the European Urology Congress this year.

No comments: