Thursday, January 26, 2012

Surgeries in Treviso, Italy

On thursday I left early in the morning to Italy, to perform a surgical demonstration with the GreenLight XPS 180 watt at the Civil Hospital of Treviso. There I was with Prof. Maccatrozzo, Dr. Merlo and Dr. Paolo Guaitoli, who came all the way from Udine to watch the surgeries (the last two doctors in the photo below).

I had a first patient with a monster prostate with a huge median lobe and I had to perform a hybrid technique. At first I could not enter the bladder with the laser cystoscope due to the humungous median lobe. I vaporized the lateral lobes using 600.000 joules and then I found the capsular plane on top of the veru montanum to progressively enucleate the median lobe until it was hanging from a small pedicle at the bladder neck. Then I used a bipolar resectoscope to resect the median lobe, in a totally bloodless fashion, and when we weighted the prostate chips, 70 grams! We checked with intraoperative transrectal ultrasound that we had removed the whole adenoma... a difficult case, but we managed it safely. The second patient had a smaller prostate and we did a good job too. I really enjoyed the session.


Then I went to the airport, where I had to wait to leave to Sofia, Bulgaria, because the airport had been closed due to heavy snowing. Finally I got there at 2 am...



No comments: