Thursday, December 04, 2014

Live Surgery at the 5th Course on Endoscopy of the Lower Urinary Tract at Policlinico Gemelli in Rome, Italy.

From Paris I flew to Rome to participate in the 5º Corso di endoscopia del basso aparato urinario at the Policlínico Gemelli de Roma, Of the Universitá del Sacro Cuore


They invited me to demonstrate the technique of anatomic vaporization of the prostate in a patient with a moderate enlargement. The Hospital has a beautiful statue of Juan Pablo II in the entrance, and patients and family members of patients make the sign of the cross when they see it.


The operation went very well and I managed to explain the evident advantages of this technique over the traditional transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). Before it was my turn to operate I watched the other scheduled operations, as the TURP with suprapubic trocar.

Frankly, to me it was like traveling back in time to the pleistocene. In our center we abandoned open surgery and TURP many years ago.


The program had a lot of delay and I finally arrived late to Madrid, as almost always. Very tired after so much work and wishing to rest during the bank holiday.

No comments: