Thursday, January 18, 2007

Visitors from Belgium

Today I had scheduled a surgical session in Madrid and we received the visit of Dr. Philip Ameye and Ben Van Kleinebrugel, from the University Hospital from Leuven, Belgium. I performed three laser prostatectomies with the new 120 watt Greenlight HPS, and they came to theatre to witness these operations first hand. They already have experience with the 80 watt Greenlight PV system, but they wanted to see the new HPS in action, as they are evaluating the possibility of purchasing one.
I explained them my ideas on this operation and how should one handle this new laser.

I performed three operations from 9.30 am to 2.30 pm, all uneventful, and we went out for lunch to celebrate their visit. We had fun and we also learned a lot. I always learn from the opinions and comments from other coleagues - these are top class urologists performing state of the art surgery in Leuven, Belgium.

I got an invitation to operate in Belgium in March. It seems there is a Urology Professor that is interested in this technique but that would like to see with his own eyes not only some operations, but also the postoperative recovery of his own patients. So I will do some surgeries there to allow them to ascertain if Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate keeps up with its wonderful reputation.

No comments: