Monday, March 09, 2009

Surgical Marathon in Caracas, Venezuela

Last week I went to Caracas, where I visited five hospitals that have adopted the Greenlight HPS technology for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia, to try and help them start their first cases or to improve their surgical technique and optimize clinical results. It has been a very intense week.

Monday 2nd: Hospital General del oeste, "Magallanes"

We started with this public hospital in Caracas, where there were six patients ready to be operated.

First I gave a talk to the members of the urology department directed by Dr. José Aguillón and then we went to the operating room, where we spent the whole day. We did six operations that were uneventful. The following morning I learned that all patients were OK. It as a long and tough day, but very interesting and intense, and the surgical cases were optimal for such a session.


Tuesday 3rd: Hospital Militar "Dr. Carlos Arvelo"

On Tuesday I woke up with a little bit of Jet-Lag, but a pair of coffees helped me through it. I went to the military hospital directed by Dr. Nirka Marcano.

I also gave a talk in the department initially and we did five operations througout the day, with a lot of people attending at the operating room.


Wednesday 4th: Policlínica Metropolitano

Here I met Dr. Nelson Ramírez and Dr. Jaime Czechowitz, who already had some experience with the Greenlight HPS laser for the treatment of BPH. Dr. Juan Carlos Vargas came to visit us, I met him last year in Caracas and now is the most experienced greenlight surgeon in Venezuela.

We did four operations in a very interesting and fun working session. All patients fared very well. Then we went out for dinner and I enjoyed their company thoroughly as well as the wonderful Venezuelan meat cuts...

Thursday 5th: Clínica El Ávila

At this moment in the week the jet-lag was over, and I went to visit the Clínica El Ávila, one of the most important private hospitals in Caracas. I just did a single operation this time.

Other patients who were programmed for surgery today did have some trouble to make it to the hospital and so we used the opportunity to take it easy and went out for lunch after a brief but intense morning.

Friday 6th: Hospital Domingo Luciani "El Llanito"


On Friday, at last, we finished this surgical marathon visiting Hospital Domingo Luciani. I met the head of the department of urology, Dr. Montes, and after giving a talk to the department, I was able to demonstrate the technique operating two patients.

Then I rushed to the airport, where I took my direct flight to Madrid. It has been a very intense week, I did 18 operations and met more than 30 Venezuelan urologists!!!


No comments: