Thursday, May 06, 2010

More surgeries in Caracas

The following day I went to the Instituto Metropolitano Docente de Urología (IMDU), a surgical day-care center participated by 26 local urologists. I first gave a talk on GreenLight prostatectomy and then I went to the surgical theatre, where I performed two operations.



Both went very well and we could comment many of the new principles of an anatomic prostate vaporization (localization of the capsule followed by vaporization down to the capsule).

Then we ate a wonderful "Pabellón Criollo" in the hospital before we departed to the Centro Médico de Caracas, where I met Dr. Jose Manuel Pardo, current President of the Sociedad Venezolana de Urología and Dr. Leonardo Borregales. They had prepared another case for the afternoon and I performed a GreenLight Enucleation of the prostate, and we discussed the steps to follow to perform it safely.


The next day I packed and took my case to the Instituto de Clínicas y Urología tamanaco, with Dr. Juan Carlos Vargas and other well known urologists, like Dr. Dario Soto, who had flown from Maracaibo. Dr. Vargas had prepared three patients with prostates weighing 60, 100 and 120 grams. I did three enucleations in the same theatre where we presented the GreenLight Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate two years ago for the first time in Venezuela.


Then I went to the airport, back to Madrid. It has been another intense trip, with a lot of work, but very stimulating. All the urologists I met were excited by this technique and they thought that the GreenLEP technique is a very attractive operation for patients with big prostates. I love Venezuela, everybody here is nice and warm and I always have a great time!

No comments: