Saturday, April 12, 2014

Live surgery during the Annual Congress of the European Association of Urology in Stockholm



This time I went to Stockholm to participate at the Annual Congress of the European Association of Urology, really the most important European Congress with more than 14.000 participants from all over the world.

My role was to participate in a session of the ESUT (European Society of Uro-Technology) that organized an amazing surgical program that took place at the Karolinska Hospital and were transmitted live to the audience of the congress.


These are very appreciated sessions as they allow urologists from all over the world to watch experts performing surgery in real time.

I had the great honor to be invited to perform an operation in a patient with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. I performed the GreenLight En Bloc Enucleation procedure that I have developed during the last 4 years.


Everything went well during the operation and I received many positive comments from some friends and colleagues, some of them through twitter.


The urologists in the auditorium could visualize both the endoscopic image (left) as the image in the operating room, and what my hands were doing during the operation.


I hope the patient will recover well and improve his quality of life. Next year during the next EAU congress they will present the results of the operation and will tell how the patient is feeling.

No comments: