Monday, June 25, 2007

Jedda, Saudi Arabia, part II

This morning I went to the hospital. There were three patients programmed, the first one was operated by Dr. Al Tayyib, who looked like an expert surgeon after only three cases. The second patient had a big gland, with 115 grams, and I did it.

Right from the start of surgery, he started bleeding a little bit, nothing serious or risky for the patient, but enough to impair visibility and I inserted a suprapubic laparoscopic trocar and connected it to a draining tube, to improve the irrigation and be able to finish the operation satisfactorily.div>
I was happy that the urologists watching the operation had a chance to see how a difficult case is solved and finished with success. Then I was presented a much more complex case, an 85 year old old man, who was suffering from dementia, and had a high surgical risk, being diabetic, having cardiac problems... He was catheterised as he could not void spontaneously and the family asked if we could do something for him. After discussing his case with the anaesthetists, we decided to operate him under spinal.
I positioned him in the sitting position to allow him to tolerate the operation better. He tolerated the operation really well. All surgeons present in theatre were impressed to see that these patients can be operated. Due to their high surgical risk They were before condemned to life time catheterisation!!.
We finished at 9:30 and after greeting the patient's family, I joined the scientific session organised after my visit. There were many urologists from Jedda. I did my best to transmit them my experience and what how has this treatment influenced my patient's lifes. Then there was a debate and then we went out for dinner. There was a lot of interest in learning all aspects of this technique, and we all had a goog time.
I am leaving Jedda, fascinated by its architecture, full of palaces and wonderful mosques. I am also fascinated by their people, the wonderful team of the hospital where we have been operating.
That same night, I took the plane to return at 3:00 am. I went to bed and slept like a log. I was exhausted.

No comments: