Friday, October 05, 2007

Visitor from Portugal

Today I had programmed some operations in Madrid, and we received the visit from Dr. Fino Correia, from Portugal. I did two Greenlight HPS laser prostatectomies, on a 60 gram and then a 220 gram prostate in an 81 year old high risk patient. We had time enough to discuss every aspect about the technique, and I shared all my surgical tricks with him.

We had a great time, and both operations went fine. I then drove to the airport as I am leaving today to Athens, to a meeting. I found out that my plane is delayed, so I started writing this entry of the blog.

I managed to enucleate a fragment from the median lobe of the prostate and extract it with a
Boston Scientific's Zero Tip big stone extraction basket, in order to show Dr. Correia the fine line of coagulated tissue that this laser produces. I took the photo with my mobile, and it is not perfectly clear, but it is easy to see how little damage this laser causes to the prostate, and how it coagulates just enough to avoid bleeding, but not more than that.

No comments: