Sunday, December 17, 2006

Conference in Cairo, Egypt



Today I returned to Madrid after spending a week in Egypt, where I was invited to the 41st Annual Congress of the Egyptian Urological Association to talk about my experience with PVP - Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate with the Greenlight Laser.

I also had a chance to spend some days in Luxor with my family, and from there we went to Cairo, where the congress was being celebrated. Egypt is a beautiful country, and we enjoyed visiting the temples of Karnak, Luxor, the Nile and the exotic atmosphere of this amazing country.

After Luxor, we went to Cairo, I had to participate in two important events. The first one, a press round to launch this technique in Egypt, where I participated actively. After the press round, the beautiful Nile TV channel presenter interviewed me and we not only talked about the Greenlight laser, but also about prostate cancer and urinary incontinence.

That night I participated in the official presentation of the Greenlight System to the urologists attending the congress, and the programme included the participation of Mr. Martin Hill (EMEA Distributor Manager of AMS/Laserscope), Prof. Mostafa El Hilali, an eminent Egyptian Urologist that lives and works in Canada, and Dr. Yarkin Kamil Yakupoglu, from Turkey. We all spent about 20 minutes discussing the Greenlight system and after the scientific session we enjoyed a very nice Egyptian dinner.

Martin Hill, Dr. Kamil and me just before the start of the scientific session.


The next day I had a chance to visit El Cairo, and I enjoyed enormously visiting the Pyramids and the Museum of Cairo. The Pyramids are overwhelming.


I was most impressed by the mummy of Ramses II. I think going all the way to Cairo is worth it just to look at him, flesh and bones, after 3300 years.... he is still looks great, doesn't he?



And finally, I did my contribution to the congress itself, with the conference "Greenlight PVP", and with an impressive attendance...

After my talk, I had the chance to discuss this technique with surgeons from Jordan, Kuwait and other Middle east countries.

I was interviewed by the magazine HME that was distributed to all attendees. I am transcribing it below.


It has been a fantastic experience. I have enjoyed Egypt, and I recommend everyone to visit this wonderful country. The Egyptians are very kind people and the country is espectacular.

I was happy to receive an invitation to come back soon, maybe in February, to contribute to the training of the two first users of the Greenlight laser in Egypt.

No comments: