Thursday, November 29, 2007

Surgeries and conference in Nijmegen, The Netherlands


The department of Urology at Nijmegen (St. Radboud) is well known all over the urologic world, due to their excelent basic and clinical research. They invited me to participate in a scientific meeting on advances in urology. I woke up at 04.00 am to fly to Brussels, and from there I drove to Nijmegen. When I arrived at the hospital, there were two patients waiting for me...


One of them had a 70 gram prostate and I used the 80 watt GreenLight PV system. The second patient had a 50 gra prostate that I did with the Greenlight HPS 120 watt system. Both surgeries were uneventful. I could feel a certain skepticism in the air initially, but when they saw how little aggressive this operation is, the bloodless surgical field and the final endoscopic view, I think they were impressed. Holland is the slowlier adopter of this technology in Europe, I believe they will embrace it faster after this...


The we went to the meeting room where I lectured on Photoselective vaporization of the prostate and then we celebrated a round table on minimally invasive treatments. It was a pleasure to share this session with Dr. Frank d'ancona, Dr. Steffens, Dr. Schout, Dr. Karthaus and Dr. Peter Mulders... all of them truly amazing urologists...



We had a great time and then I drove back to Brussels, where I would take a flight to New Delhi the next morning.

No comments: