Thursday, November 15, 2007

Trip to India: (I) Live surgery

This wednesday I took off with my wife towards Mumbai. My wife came with me because she wanted to visit a famous indian Guru, Ramesh Balsekar, who lives in Mumbai. We first flew to Amman, in Jordan, and then connected to Mumbai. Unfortunately I could not get any sleep during the flight. We arrived at 5.00 am and went to Juhu, in Mumbai, where the congress took place. It was a joint congress of the SIU (Société Internationale d'Urologie) and the ICS (International Continence Society). The congress newsletter published an interview they had done some time before...
I had to participate in a live surgery workshop at the Jaslok Hospital the first day, mentor a surgeon from Mumbay the second day, and to lecture the third day.
When we arrived to the hotel, they were waiting for us to go to the Jaslok Hospital. I had some minutes to have a shower and dring a strong coffee and there we went. I first gave a 30 minute talk while the patient was anaesthetised and then I performed the operation that was transmitted to the meeting room.


It was a straightforward case and the attendees were very impressed by the easiness and the speed of the procedure. Then I went back to sleep to the hotel...

No comments: